What makes a product the perfect fit for MSPs?
This was something that, when we decided to focus our attention on this area, we had to think deeply about so that we could win the hearts and minds of our partners straight away.
We decided to do some digging into what makes MSPs get excited about a vendor.
So, here's is what we found:
- Taking an annual licensing model and chopping it into 12 doesn’t work
- Integration(s) out the box is a key factor
- Support has got to be great
- Deployment, admin and lifecycle have to be simple
- You need a multi-tenant admin platform so no need for multiple logins
- Complex licensing models are painful
- NFRs should be free with no catches
- Bundles of users for purchase doesn’t work
These points may sound obvious, but the market is full of vendors who “want” to enter the MSP market but don’t want to sacrifice their annual license model, as this means the commitment is not as long.
But how is that fair?
Some products just aren't 'MSP-friendly'
For most MSPs who bill against per employee or desktop at their client site, if they sign up for 12 months and then their client goes out of business (happened a lot in the last 12 months), then the MSP is stuck with the delta of the bill.
A similar principle for bundles of users… last I checked, businesses don’t employ staff in exact bundles, so…..
Also, having complexity can be good for the vendor, but for the MSP who has X customers with X employees using X software across X sites, complexity is just well… complex, and that means time-consuming — which also means a pain in the ass.
So, what did we do?
Knowing what we knew, we decided that the points above were going to be the hurdles we would come across. They would also present us with the weak points in our competition and the ability to be the vendor of choice in this space, so here is what we did:
- Licensing - Monthly billing on a per user per month model (pupm)
- No minimum order
- No minimum term
- Real-time support - We manage support and refine our process to deliver an average response time under 30 seconds
- We only sell one whitelabelled product, under one SKU
- Built the platform on an API driven, multi-tenant platform - great for integration.
- Free NFR - We provided a free not-for-resale (NFR) license for the lifetime of the agreement
- Automated tooling for ease of ongoing management.
These points above have meant that we can provide a simple and easy to use platform, with a licensing model which scales alongside our partners — both up and down, which is fair.
Now, by no means is this list exhaustive.
Growing with our partners
We have a lot of work to do to continue the work to make the usecure platform even better for our partners, but for sure these represent some of the gotchas and no doubt eye-rolling reactions some vendors get when trying to pitch their MSP play.
Grab a free NFR and learn why usecure is the perfect fit for MSPs
Transform employees into the strongest line of defence with usecure, the automated human risk management solution for MSPs, that analyses, reduces and monitors employee cyber risk, through:
- Automated security awareness training
- Automated simulated phishing campaigns
- Simplified policy management
- Ongoing dark web breach monitoring
- Continuous human risk reporting